Power generation, transport and heavy industries are the sectors that contribute the most to global emissions of greenhouse gases. Decarbonizing these sectors is a priority to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement and reach carbon neutrality by 2050. In Europe and Japan, hydrogen produced from carbon-free sources is increasingly seen as one of the solutions that will help decarbonize these sectors.
Projects using hydrogen as an alternative fuel are developing in various areas, including the energy-intensive steel industry, road and maritime transport, centralized and decentralized production of electricity.
After a first workshop in May 2021 focusing on green hydrogen production, in this second event, experts from Europe and Japan will share the latest developments on public policies and industrial solutions to develop the use of hydrogen in several sectors of the economy. They will also open a discussion on possible cooperation between Europe and Japan in hydrogen use projects.
- Public policies for hydrogen use in Europe and Japan | European Commission DG ENER – Mr. Tudor Constantinescu, Principal Adviser & Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan (TBC)
- Session 1: Projects of hydrogen use in transport, industry and power generation in the EU and Japan
- Hydrogen power generation project in Japan | Mitsubishi Power – Mr. Satoshi Tanimura, Chief Engineer, Senior Manager, Next Energy Business Division
- Hydrogen-fueled steel manufacturing in Europe | thyssenkrupp – Mr. Nikolaus Boltze – Japan Representative Director & President
- Hydrogen road transport in Japan | Toyota Motor
- Hydrogen air mobility in Europe| H3Dynamics – Mr. Samir Bennafla, head of sales Japan-Asia-Pacific
- Session 2: Potential for EU-Japan cooperation in hydrogen use in transport, industry and power generation
- EU-Japan partnership for hydrogen in maritime transport| CMB – Mr. Yu Aonuma – Representative Director Japan
- EU-Japan partnership for hydrogen in homes and buildings | Panasonic – Mr. Urata Takayuki, Fuel Cell Planning Department
- Public programmes supporting projects on hydrogen use in Japan | NEDO (TBC)
- Support to innovation regarding use of hydrogen in Horizon Europe | European Commission DG RTD (TBC)
- Industry priorities on international cooperation in projects on the use of hydrogen | Hydrogen Europe – Mr. Jorgo Chatzimarkakis, Secretary General & Japan Hydrogen Association
- Panel discussion
Information & Registration
- Date: Thursday 9th September | 9:00-11:30 CET / 16:00-18:30 JST
- Platform: Zoom
- Language: English and Japanese with simultaneous interpretation
- Registration is free
This event is organized with the financial support of the European Union’s Partnership Instrument. The opinions expressed are the sole responsibility of the organizer and speakers, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union.
EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation
European Commission – DG ENER
Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan
Delegation of the European Union to Japan